Monday, February 23, 2009

Module 2 - Email Tasks

1. What information about a user's email, the origin of a message, and the path it took, can you glean from an email message?

You can obtain information about who sent the message or more specifically the username and domain name of the user's email, the subject gives a hint what the email is about, the body is the main purpose and explains in detail why the email was sent.

The path can be traced from sender to recipient via the way it was sent (copy carbon, blind copy carbon, reply, reply to all and forward)

2. In what cases would you find it useful to use the 'cc', 'bcc' and 'reply all functions of email?

CC (Carbon Copying)- if I was sending a message and wanted others to also know (for their information) but didn't want them to give much of an imput I would CC them.

BCC (Blind Carbon Copying)- If Im was doing a major mailout and didn't want the recipients to also know who received the mailout or if I was just replying and wanted someone in on the email but didn't want the recipient to reply to them and only to me I would BCC them.

Reply to all- I would use this function if I wanted all recipients to give their opinion and reply. To me it means that the message is equally revevant to each recipient.

3. In what ways can you ensure that an attachment you send will be easily opened by the receiver?

Send the attachment as a ASCII (Plain text) rather than RTF (Rich text file) as it is a more simplified version and can be accepted by most systems (regardless of Macintosh or PC).


4. What sorts of filters or rules do you have set up, and for what purpose?

The main filters I use are the spam/ junk filters so im able to give more time to those emails that are more relevant to me, especially at work I am very time conscious.

5. How have you organised the folder structure of your email and why?

I organise both my personal and work email addresses by topic so I am able to easily find my previous emails. This also allows me to work more efficiently like the spam/ junk filter.

No comments: